Monday, January 25, 2010

Day 69: Physical Marvel

I believe I have mentioned in several blog posts here that I go for yoga. What I go for is Bikram Yoga, that is 1.5 hours of strenuous yoga practised in a room at 40 degree celsius. I find it no mean task to go through each session but the worst is when I take a break from the classes and go back again after a few days. So if I skip sessions for say, as short as two weeks even, and then go for a class in the third week, I pretty much almost die.

A class after a break makes me feel nauseous and dizzy. I literally see stars and I usually can't wait for the class to end to rush out to get some cool air. It is always like I am being punished for skipping a few weeks of yoga.

And today was expected to be one such day. The last yoga session I attended was more than 2 weeks ago, and hence I had very little hope for making it through the class without huffing, puffing, panting, taking frequent breaks and in general, making a complete fool out of myself. On top of that my experiments with the dance pose yesterday had left both my abdomen and neck muscles sore. This combined with a nose that continued to be blocked post the flu and in turn making my inhales and exhales short, abrupt with funny accompanying noises, were all promising to be a recipe for disaster.

So I waited to feel dizzy and nauseous throughout the class. I waited to want to collapse and feel that it is the end of the world. After all, it usually was just a matter of time. But nothing like that happened. There was no disaster.

In fact, today was like the complete opposite of disaster. I had one of the best classes ever! I was flexible, could keep my balance during the usually challenging poses, did not take a single break for the entire duration and didn't feel like I wanted to run for my life. Nope. Not even remotely.

I think it was a miracle, there is no other explanation to it. And I doubt whether it would be as easy the next time I go back to class after a break. But it feels awesome when something you dread turns out to be not that bad after all! And as of today, I feel like the strongest person on the planet.

931 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment