Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 53: Kids

I have mixed opinions about kids mainly formed by my mixed experiences with them. On one hand, I have seen kids who are pretty well behaved and I find them cute and quite nice. On the other hand there are kids who are so atrociously behaved that all you wanna to do is give them one tight slap. Similarly am sure different kids have had different opinions of me. There have been several who absolutely loved me and found me their best friend and then there were others who bawled at the mere sight of me. Recently it has been more of the latter, for some reason.

Anyway, today I happened to go to my hubby's colleague's house for a small gathering. There I met his two kids - a 4-year old girl and a 2-year old boy. Both belonged to the category where they are pretty well behaved and hence in my "kids-I-like" list and also to top that, they absolutely adored me. After the initial 15 minutes, I was their first and pretty much only playmate chosen from all the adults in the room.

It was fun, since I haven't played with kids for a while now. So we played "Doctor-Doctor" and "Hospital". I was told that there is a difference between the two well-thought-out games - the former requires the patient to sit up while the latter requires the patient to lie down. Then we played with balloons and cars and all other toys that they could find for me. I piggy-backed them and listened to whatever they were saying or trying to say (as in the case of the younger one who hasn't started to talk yet). Much of the time was also spent on convincing the younger one that taking my glasses away from me is not a good idea because it leaves me blind.

I have heard that sometimes kids say or do the most unexpected things. There were a few instances today. The older one invited me to go and play with her in her room. I told her, " I will come after some time.". She replied, "Now is some time." OK, that was fair enough and I followed her and her brother to play in their room. After we were done with our games, just when we were about to step out, the little boy started to look very agitated and pointed repeatedly at the lights and fan. I didn't understand him at first and then realized what he was trying to say when he pointed to the power switch. He wanted me to switch off the lights and fan as we were leaving the room! That was nothing short of amazing.

But here comes the killer. When all the guests were about to leave, the little girl also wanted to make a trip outside. So to console her, I said, "You go to bed. We are also going home to sleep." And she replied, "Are you sleeping with that uncle?", pointing to my hubby.

Yup, kids do unwittingly say the most outrageous stuff.

947 more to go.

1 comment: