Saturday, January 2, 2010

Day 46: Autobiography of a Yogi

Today absolutely didn't go as planned. I was supposed to go for yoga and then work on the script. Instead I felt sick and it looked like a flu's in the offing. So ended up watching TV or napping most of the day. By evening, I was bored out my freaking mind that I had to do some damage prevention.

So I decided to read the "Autobiography of a Yogi" for the second time. I had read the book several years ago and honestly don't remember much about it now. But ever since I read a book called "Adikailasayatra" - travelogue on the journey to the Himalayas, I had been wanting to re-read "Autobiography of a Yogi" since it made several references to it.

The book, as the title clearly specifies is the autobiography of a Yogi, named Swami Paramahamsa Yogananda. "Yogi" is a sanskrit word and it means "a spiritual practioner".

I read around 8 chapters today and am enjoying every bit of it. One might chose to believe or not believe what's written in the book but can't deny the fact that it is a fascinating read. It describes pretty much a parallel universe, another plane of existence beyond our current comprehension.

Even if what's written there is not true, it still makes a wonderful story - a magical one at that... and I love stories. And if what's written there is all true, well... all I can say is Wow! And in either case, what it brings to the mind is awareness that there are other things in the world that one could be worried about other than wealth and possessions. And I guess that is never a bad lesson to be reminded of. Especially at the beginning of a new year.

So I'll get back to the book now.

954 more to go.

1 comment: