Sunday, January 24, 2010

Day 68: The Dance Pose

Since I am to dance at my brother-in-law's wedding in April, I realized it is high time I started the choreography and rehearsal if I want to give a decent enough performance. Accordingly today, I started on the choreography and made a bit of progress on it. I haven't danced in a long while (the last performance was in 2007 March) and I was finding both the choreography and dancing harder than usual.

In any case, while I was listening to the music for the dance, I had a pose in my mind which I thought would go well with one part of the music. I am trained in Bharatnatyam, Mohiniyattom and also a little bit of Kathak and the choreography I am attempting is a fusion of all these dance-forms. But this particular pose I had in mind, is something I have never been able to do before but have seen a few other dancers do beautifully.

The pose requires a very deep backward bending and also a pretty strong sense of balance. I had attempted it years ago a couple of times without much success. In any case, I decided to attempt it today.

And much to my surprise, or absolute shock rather, I could do it! I could do that dance pose which I was never able to do before! I managed to repeat it about 3 times after which my back started to protest and I had to stop.

I have no idea whether I will be able to do it again in the future but as of today, I could do it and it makes really very happy! It's like getting something ticked off from my long pending to-do list.

932 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment