Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 55: A Great Idea

I think this blog's a great idea. Really. It actually helps me to feel good about what I have vs. being upset about what I don't have, without making much effort. Sure, the intent was always to make sure everyday is special. And for most days, something interesting and exciting happens and I need to take hardly any effort to write about it. But there are other days when things are hectic or boring or irritating etc.. Those days, I take a little effort to do something that makes me happy so that I have something to blog about. After 54 days of doing so, I think I am coming to a stage where it takes less and less effort to feel good. No matter what.

Let me explain. Something absolutely shitty happened at work today. Now don't underestimate the shittiness I am referring to here. It's the kind of thing that would have made me mop around and moan and cry and crib and come to the conclusion that this world is one sucky place. Such things have happened before and I have behaved in the abovementioned ways for days at end.

But interestingly enough today, I realized that in spite of going through such a horrendous experience, I was still pretty happy!

When the incident happened, I mulled over it for 2 minutes, laughed about it with a friend and then got back to being super productive at work! Later in the evening, I proceeded to have the best yoga class in months! I worked on some film production elements, packed a bit for my trip back to Kerala, had a great dinner with hubby and pretty much enjoyed everything about the day.

I didn't have to pause and think, "Oh my God, what an awesomely crappy day. What the hell would I blog about today?". I have successfully been able to enjoy all the pretty nice things that happened today and not be bothered about the rest. And I think that's a great change!

Looks like I am finally learning that yes, it's all in the mind. Indeed.

955 more to go.

2 comments:

  1. I guess happiness doesn't just 'happen' to people, one has to actively seek it and find it...

    ReplyDelete