Friday, April 29, 2011

Day 527: Valkyries!

28 April, 2011

I usually don't write about a book or film unless I have read/watched it completely. But I absolutely must write about Paulo Coehlo's Valkyries even though I am only about half way through it! Well, I must mention that I got half through it in just one sitting simply because I am that fascinated by it!

Let me first establish that I had previously read Coehlo's Alchemist as well as the The Winner Stands Alone and found both books to be strictly average. Alchemist left me confused (I felt that the boy getting a storm to happen etc. was a bit of a stretch for a story that was trying to be more real than fantastical). As for "The Winner Stands Alone", whatever point that was being driven, was completely lost on me.

So when I picked about Valkyries, it was only because there didn't seem to be any other decent choice, and also to a small extend because the synopsis said something about female warriors which I found interesting.

But within 20 pages into the book, I was completely blown away!!! I am not sure why really...there are so many elements about it that's so intriguing! It is like reading a fantastical story, but one that claims to be autobiographical. Almost like reading works like the Autobiography of a Yogi.

I dont know where the story is gonna go from this point or whether I would still be this excited about the book at the end of it but for the time being, I think is absolutely, completely, incredibly brilliant!

473 more to go.

2 comments:

  1. I've read Valkyries and liked it alot.. But i was in 11th standard then, maybe now it will be a diffrnt treat. there wuz a thing that dissapointed me in the book but i wont give you any spoiler. :) Fantastic blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) yes i do think it would be different reading it now vs. 11th std (assuming 11th std was some time ago! ) am just half way through, will look out for what could have been disappointing! :)

    and thank you!

    ReplyDelete