Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Day 517: The Fridge Magnet!

18 April, 2011

The most amazing thing happened today!

I was at work, trying to figure out how to meet some stretching deadlines, how to solve a million new issues that seem to have cropped up in the last few days, how to keep my sanity and such similar activities that one is expected to be involved in at work.

So as I was staring hard at my computer screen, my admin assistant came by and dropped a bunch of postal mail on my desk. Taking that as a good sign for a break, I stopped working and started sifting through the mail. Most of them were credit card bills or bank statements or some official mail.

Then I came to the last envelope in the pile. It looked a bit out of ordinary - with a hand written address and stamps etc. which one doesn't normally find on any of these banking notices. I turned over the envelope and was highly surprised when I read the sender details there. The mail was from a junior of mine from college.

We had worked together on a project about 5-6 years back but other than that you can hardly call us close. We probably bump into each other once a year, exchange some pleasantries and that's about it. So obviously a mail from her was very surprising.

A look at the envelope also told me that there was something more than just a piece of paper in it. There was a square, hard object in there and it has left an impression on the envelope. For a few moments I tried to guess what it might be, then curiosity got better of me.

I tore open the envelope and out popped a very simple fridge magnet. It said "Best Director" together with the visual of a film camera next to it.

I was stunned. That was such a sweet gesture!

I was so overwhelmed that I almost missed the accompanying letter. It had a very short and sweet message. She basically said that she was reminded of me when she visited the Universal Studio in Singapore recently and came across this magnet. So she bought it and sent it to me.

She sounded pretty casual about the whole deal as if this was the most regular thing to do but I must say that it made my day (or in fact, several days to come)! I mean, it's one thing to be reminded of me when she saw the magnet and a completely different thing to actually buy it, figure out my address and then send it out via mail to me!

So well, what can I say!

Thank you my dear, this magnet shall adorn my fridge forever.

483 more to go.

5 comments:

  1. Rare to find such gestures in this e-age when an electronic mail would replace sentiments. Rather unconvincingly so.

    You might have been special to her:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay now I'm blushing! I just thought it would bring a smile on ur face! :) plus u totally deserve it! :)

    Cheers,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. sherene - i know!

    rohan - :) well... thank you!

    sagar - i completely agree that it's a very rare gesture. and i think in this case, she is the one who is special. :)

    "M" - yeah, it brought a smile that lasted way longer than usual smiles! thank you, this was indeed one of the sweetest things ever! :)

    ReplyDelete