Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day 224: List-making Conversation

Today was interesting. I had a TON of work like every other day but was planning to hit yoga no matter what. Then hubby called a couple of times and said that he has a "bit of free time." And usually when he has a bit of free time, it means we skip yoga and have a good dinner instead. But I was still determined to go for yoga. However, my workload won over my determination and I could not get out of office on time for the last class. So hubby and I went to Brotzeit to get a drink first. As we ran out of topics to discuss over my Bailey's Irish Cream and his glass of beer, I struck up a new thread of conversation.

That was a mistake. The conversation went from borderline sane to absolutely incomprehensible madness within minutes.

Me: Do you remember what Myer-Briggs combination you are? I only remember that I am an introvert and you are an extrovert.
He: I think I have a bit of everything in me.
Me: Erm... OK... yeah ... but still what's dominating?
He: I am everything. Really. I am The... I am One... I am The One...!
Me: But...
He: I am like the universal template God created!! (Heavy pause as he screws up his nose to remember something and I search for words) AHAM BRAHMAASMIi!! (his eyes light up as he remembers the sanskrit words for "I am the eternal consciousness").

I realized that the Myer-Briggs conversation was getting totally lost over him and changed the subject.

Me: Hey, let's do the things-to-do-before-I-turn-30 list!
He: Ugh... no... not again (I could understand his hesitation but I love making lists)
Me: Come on, you haven't made one in 2 years! It might have all changed by now! We can first write the old list and see how many can been crossed out and then add on any new things-to-do if we have. OK, I will write down mine first. (I volunteered, after successfully finding a scrap of paper from the bottom of my over-filled handbag.)

I proceeded to write down my previous list first, gathering them from my memory and was pleased to tick off a few. Then I wrote a few more, making a total of eight things-to-do before 30. They ranged from sky-diving to sending parents and in-laws on a trip to Europe to currently in-progress things like making the movie. After feeling rather good about the list, I turned to the hubby.

Me: Your turn. Let's start with your old list. What did you have in that?
He: I don't remember.
Me: Hmm... OK, that's easy then. Let's just make a brand new list. Start.
He: OK... if you think of the money... I wanna make...
Me: Wait, why don't we put money towards the end? Let's write other things first.
He: OK... hmmm........well.............erm......
Me: Dude.
He: Oh I know. I wanna lose 5 more kilos.
Me: OK, excellent. What else?
He: 5 kilos less. And 3 girl friends more.
Me: *dirty look*
He: Not 3 girl friends more. Just 3 girl friends.
Me: *dirty look*
He: No?
Me: *dirty look*
He: OK.... hmm....well.... erm....
Me: Dude.
He: OHHHHH (extremely excited) ... POETRY!!!! (he wags a finger at my scrap of paper) POETRY!!!
Me: Am sorry, what?
He: I should write POEMS!! That's what I should do!!! I should write POEMS! I write excellent poems!!
Me: You do?! (I did know that he had written a couple of poems... one was more of a ballad he wrote for a crush in high school and another was a song for my musical in university. But I never knew it was a sedated fire in him, waiting to be rekindled)
He: Of course! Like Rudyard Kipling wrote "If", I will write "What If"! You know... What if he did.... What if the world would.....That sorta stuff!!!
Me: Excellent! (I added "Poetry" to the list.) What else?
He: i would like to travel....
Me: Great!!
He: .... extensively....
Me: Awesome!!
He:... on business class!
Me: Sigh. (pause) FYI, this conversation is going on the blog. It is becoming quite a specimen.
He: Sure. As long as you pay me $5 per visitor to your site.
Me. Right. Back to the list please. What else?
He: Is the 3 girlfriends thing still on?
Me: It was never "on".
He: 2?
Me: Nope.
He: Sigh (looks adequately disappointed). Fine. I think that's about it. Anyway the list doesn't matter because am gonna get nibhbaaklap....
Me: What?
He: nirrabbbkalp...
Me: Huh?
He: Nirvikalp!!!! (Finally managing the word, yet another Sanskrit reference)
Me: What's that?
He: It's like the highest state of being....like this.... (the muscles on his face relax and twitch at the same time. I think the intention was to show me that he was at peace).
Me: That looks like you are enjoying the smell of your own fart (I voiced out my humble opinion).
He: Oh come on. It's really rather cool stuff.
Me: Really?
He: Yeah... it 's about seeing this world as well as the other world... (lowers his voice in a conspirational manner)..but at the same time.
Me: Oh.
He: Yeah ...so that's why those dudes sit with their eyes half-closed. So they can see both worlds. (He demonstrates. His eyes are half-closed for sure, but he looks squint-eyed beneath them).
Me: That's not how they do it. (Assuming that by "dudes" he meant the yogis and saints of the world).
He: That's the way Buddha does it.
Me: Erm... no? Buddha doesn't go squint eyed. The concentration point is above... not at the tip of your nose.
He: Now? (making a sincere attempt at shifting his eyes up while maintaining them half-closed).
Me: Yes. Perfect! (By now the Chinese chap at the next table is eyeing the hubby rather curiously).
He: WOW, that was hard. I hope I can still see!!! (he extends his hand out, thumb up and does a 180 degree arc with it, his eyes following. The Chinese chap looks curiouser).
Me: OK, I think we should go now.
He: OK, remember.... $5 per visitor. (Gets up to leave. The Chinese chap looks crestfallen. I guess he was rather enjoying all the Shukla eye-works).
Me: Deal.

We marched right on to Nalan, not without a bit of hesitation from hubby's part. But this time I did not eat Gobi Manchurian and Chappati. This time I ate "Set meal 1: Dosa, Idly, Vada."

Enlightening conversation and satisfying dinner. Was worth the long day at work!

776 more to go.

2 comments:

  1. interesting.....love such blogs ....keeep up writing such blogs... so now ur hubby plans to turn into a poet...great plan

    ReplyDelete
  2. enjoyed reading ur blog ... shilpa... do`nt forget to pass on a copy of the list to ur hubby 2 so that he is reminded of the rekindled fire of writing poems..... nd makes u proud wife of best seller `WHAT IF`..... by the way ur hubby has earned 10$
    by now as per the deal....!!!!

    ReplyDelete