Sunday, August 22, 2010

Day 275: Action!

21 August, 2010

Today was one of those weekends I went mad with boredom. Sure, watching a movie and having dinner with friends in the evening is fine, but what is one supposed to until then?! How long can one watch sitcoms? I think I really felt the post-Mausams-shoot withdrawal symptoms today. It made me feel that I really must be neck deep in something else otherwise it is simply a waste of time and it affects my sanity.

On top of that I was feeling blue about spending my 12th consecutive Onam away from home. Onam is the harvest festival of my state and pretty much the biggest festival there. The main day of festivities, Thiruvonam, is on the coming Monday, but the festivities have already begun. The Mallu TV channel is already full time on Onam greetings and shows. I had made plans of watching a malayalam movie with my mallu friends and have the Onasadya (Onam feast) etc. for today, but all those plans didn't work out. So that was quite a spoiler as well.

But then in the evening I watched "The Expendables" - a full blown, mindless action film! My dad had sms-ed me a few days ago saying that he watched Expendables and that he highly recommends it for its great action. And when I watched it today, I was reminded of all the times my dad and I had watched so many action films together.

My dad is a action-movie freak and as soon as I was old enough to comprehend movies, he turned me into one as well. Our favourite was Jackie Chan - we have not missed a single Jackie Chan movie ever! In fact, we have watched some of his films like Police Story, Armour of God etc. some 5-6 times or more!

So when I watched 'The Expendables' today, I was reminded of all those times when my mom would happily go off to bed or be in the kitchen or talk to the neighbours and my dad and I would lap up all those movies - the ones by Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Willis, Travolta, Lee, Chan. They don't seem to make such highly entertaining, chest thumping action flicks anymore, so when I watched Expendables, it brought back so many memories and it felt really good!

So here's to my dad and a lot more action flicks for the future!

725 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment