Sunday, August 15, 2010

Day 269: 28.

OK so today was the birthday. My 28th.

It was a very interesting day with several interesting happenings. Here are some of the most fascinating ones below.

Firstly, thanks to Facebook that announced my birthday, I got more birthday wishes than the previous 27 years put together. It made me feel oh-so-important! Then several people called to wish which included the regulars such as parents and in-laws and new additions such as cast and crew from Mausams. Again felt rather important!

Then came the crux of it. HOW to celebrate the birthday this year?! Now, for those of you who are still unaware, the hubby happens to be sharing my birthday as well, so these plans have to be mutually agreeable. But as a result of a conversation that took place a couple of days ago, the hubby was to take the lead for the planning today. The conversation was as follows:

Me: Dude, every year I organize one or the other thing for you during our birthday. Surprise after surprise. You never do anything for me.
He: That's not true.
Me: Erm. Yes it is.
He: No? I always do something for you.
Me: Well, asking me what I want and getting me that doesn't count as a surprise. Once you even asked me the bus number to get to the shop where they sell that thing. I mean come on!
He: OK fair point.
Me: This year, because of the filmt and all that I havent prepared anything. So you need to surprise and pamper me this year.
He: Sure.
Me: So?
He: So what?
Me: So what are you gonna do about it?
He: What am I gonna do about what?
Me: How are you gonna pamper me? You should start planning don't you think?
He: I already have a plan.
Me: Oh. And?
He: And what?
Me: What's the plan, dude?
He: Oh... first we will have lunch.... (which is usually our first meal during weekends).
Me: ...OK....?
He: Then we will watch a movie....
Me: .... OK...?
He: Then we will have dinner..
Me:.... OK...?
He: *silence*
Me: Erm... .OK.....?
He: What?
Me: Is that it?
He: Yup.
Me: That's how I would be pampered?
He: Yup.
Me: How is this any different from our usual weekends?
He: OH. It has to be different?
Me: *Dirty Look*
He: OHHHH.... I know! I will make a reservation at a dinner place where we havent been before and we can eat there. The dinner place will be your surprise.
Me: (after considering it for a time and realizing that that's probably the max that would come out of the boy) ... OK. *sigh*

So that's exactly what we did. Lunch followed by movie followed by Dinner.

Lunch was at the new kickass Kailas Parbat restaurant in Little India. I understand it is rather iconic in Mumbai and all the Mumbai-wallas of Singapore were raving about it all over Facebook. So we decided to go try it out as well and I am very impressed I must say! We had a Chaat platter which came with three varieties of chaat and a Bhatura platter which came with four varieties of Bhatura and Channa curry. It was super delicious.

It was so good it made the hubby shed tears of happiness. Am not kidding you. A waiter was carrying a place of Chilli Bhajjis to another table. I swear I saw the hubby eye that plate and within a few seconds, wipe out a tear. It was from sheer joy of eating and seeing good food all around!

Then we watched the notoriously boring film Aisha. What made me get over the horror of watching it was an interesting conversation that ensued between the hubby and I soon after it. We were just hanging around in a bus when out of the blue the conversation started.

He: Why do I know 1025?
Me: Am sorry?
He: The number 1025. It sounds very familiar.
Me: Erm.
He: OH I KNOW. 2 to the power of 10 plus 1!!!
Me: Erm?
He: YA! 2 to the power of 10 + 1 = 1025!!!!
Me: Dude. What?
He: Am pretty sure it had come up some time during IIT preparation. Sounds SO familiar.
Me: Wow.
He: Yeah (looking rather triumphant at figuring out the familiarity of the number).
Me: But where did you even see this number now?
He: Oh there was a car with a number plate 1205. So I was like 1205. 1025. THAT's Familiar.
Me: *silence*

If that conversation would not remove the memory of Aisha from my mind, what would? So after getting over the film, we started on some shopping. He bought an iPhone and I got a few clothes for work. Ever since the hubby's colleague asked me whether I was "coming from home", even though I was coming straight from office, I had realized that my wardrobe does need a bit of a revamp. But I was not really meaning to act on it until an incident with the iPhone that forced me to act on my shopping.

Firstly, the hubby seeded the idea in my head that the iphone is THE thing to have. According to him, without it one's existence would be meaningless. He said, let's go and get one each for both of us. We shall be the iPhone couple on our birthday! Alright then. I tagged along. Then that horrid woman at the counter said I could not get my phone due to some technical issue with my contract but the hubby can (we buy new phones in Singapore together with renewal of contracts because that way the phones come a lot cheaper). I got really irritated because this was the umpteenth time this was happening with me, so I stormed out of the shop to make a complaint to their customer service. I couldnt get through the busy lines which made me all the more frustrated and when I reached back at the shop I saw my hubby happily hanging out with his new iPhone.

Me: You got an iPhone?
He: I got an iPhone.
Me: But they are not giving me one today!
He: Yeah... that's really bad.
Me: I thought you said we would be the iPhone couple together?!
He: Ah yes, I did.
Me: So why did you get yours today instead of waiting for me?
He: Oh. Yeah. I really should have waited for you.
Me: *giving him the dirtiest look Ever*
He: *looking rather apologetic*
Me: Fine. Am going shopping. You can stand around and watch me shop then.

With that I stormed out once again and started to shop, with him tagging along patiently. I bought three tops and two skirts, which considerably brightened up my spirits. Especially since the girls at Iora (one of the shops I went to and bought the bulk of the stuff) were super nice and gave me some exceptional service! The clothes were then converted to his gifts to me, which was also rather sweet.

The day ended with dinner at Yantra in Tanglin Mall. This was the "surprise" destination that he had made a reservation yet. Only issue was that he had no clue how to get there and made me walk up and down Tanglin road in search of it. The food was decent but the winner for the day in terms of food is definitely Kailas Parbat (their masala chai is to die for!).

So there. It's been an interesting day and it's been an interesting year.

Another number added on to my age. Two years to 30.

731 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment