Thursday, August 19, 2010

Day 273: Being Chechi

"Chechi" means older sister in my language.

For some reason, there are a few people in my life who calls me "Chechi". I am talking about people who are neither related nor are considerably younger to me and hence are not required to call me "older sis" out of respect, as is often expected in Indian culture. These are people who are my age, +/- 1 or 2 years at max.

Am always fascinated when they do that. It makes me wonder what kinda maternal instinct I tend to display that they feel the need to greet me in this manner. Sure, 9 out of 10 times the greeting is a mock one, but still... I don't see them calling anyone else like that, so obviously I do have some elder-sisterliness in me. And am pretty sure I might be going a bit overboard but whenever they call me "chechi", it makes me feel oh-so-responsible for their well-being in the manner elder sisters are supposed to feel for their younger siblings.

Today, one of my good friends sent me a heartwarming message. It was mainly about her involvement in the film shoot and other productions of mine etc., but it was a beautiful message and she had started it off with "Dearest chechi". It made me realize that I actually enjoy being in this elder sister role. In spite of the fact that it could potentially make one feel older than necessary. But it does make me feel closer to them and if they are already my favourite people, it's actually quite a nice feeling. It makes me feel like I have my own gang of younger brothers and sisters.

Am pretty sure this doesn't mean that I would happily accept being called so by every Tom, Dick and Harry but as for today, here's to being Chechi.

727 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment