Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day 271: The iPhone Saga

I had written here about how the hubby pulled me into a phone shop on our shared birthday, saying that we both should be the iPhone-couple, but then I was denied the iPhone due to some technical issue while he happily got his, making me feel rather annoyed.

Now what I didn't realize was that the hubby, who at times can be super adorable, was crumbling under the immense guilt of enjoying the iPhone luxury while his wife didn't, especially since it was his idea to get her interested in the darn phone in the first place.

So this morning he brought up the topic for the 100th time.

He: Let's go get the iPhone.
Me: It's OK. I don't want it.
He: Let's go during lunch to get it.
Me: I have lunch plans.
He: Let's go in the evening to get it.
Me: I might wanna go for yoga.
He: Please, let's just get you an iPhone na! Please Please!
Me: Sigh. OK fine. Maybe in the evening then.

In the evening, I pointed out to the hubby that the Starhub (service provider) website says that their iPhones are out of stock. I told him that it would be a waste of time to go all the way there and be disappointed, so it would be better to skip it. The hubby readily assured me that he would personally go and check whether they have any in stock and only upon his confirmation would I need to get myself out of my office. That did tug a string in my heart! I mean, we are talking about the guy who doesn't budge to do an errand inspite of 40 reminders! Now here he was offering to go and check the availability of the phone, before his wife even needs to move!

After waiting for a while, I decided to get out of office anyway and make my way towards him. That's when he called and said yes, the iPhones are indeed out of stock. But no worries, because now he is rushing from Dhoby Gaut to Bugis because he thinks a retailer in Bugis has a few sets to spare.

I was shocked. He works in Bugis. He went to Dhoby Gaut to check first. Now he is going back to Bugis to try his luck. I mean what's up with this man? Is it the same dude whom I got married to, who wouldn't even collect the mail to save his life?! Now he is rushing around Singapore to get that phone for me! This is serious "Awwwww" stuff!

When I reached Bugis, I saw him pace up and down the shop, looking rather anxious. As soon as he saw me, he rushed to me and asked me not to worry... there is just one set left which another customer is supposed to have reserved. But the customer hadn't showed up, so now the hubby has got the Starhub guy to call him up to see whether he is still interested. "If not, We Can Get Your iPhone!!!", he exclaimed almost breathlessly.

I told the hubby that all this drama is absolutely unnecessary. Surely he knows that I don't care for iPhones or any such high tech stuff? No phone is worth this panic. In fact, if you ask me, nothing but food, water and medicines are probably worth this panic.

Me: When have I ever freaked out about any kind of phone? You should know that?
He: *Silence*
Me: It's OK. I don't want the iPhone. My current one is perfect.
He: *Silence*
Me: Why don't you buy me a Starbucks chai and we forget this whole deal?
He: *Silence*
Me: Look I really appreciate you doing all this... but seriously, it's not worth it.
He: *looking at the Starhub guy* Did he confirm? Did he confirm?????

And the Starhub guy said yes. It was confirmed. The other customer cancelled his reservation. That iPhone would now belong to me.

I could hear the birds chirp, the breeze blow and harps play. I could picture cheerleaders in the background celebrating this momentous turn of events, as the hubby beamed as if he just won a million dollars.

Me: Fine. I shall take the iPhone.
He: Yay!
Me: But neither of us should obsess and act so stupid over anything ever again.
He: Never ever.
Me: Cross your heart.
He: Cross my heart.

And with that he went far ahead of me in all the birthday planning I've ever done for him.

729 more to go.

2 comments:

  1. what a write-up...! just marvellous ..besides the issue which has been taken up...the narration is superb. And the last 2 sentences speak volumes about yourself ,your hubby and your wondeful relationship. God bless u both !shud always be like this forever...

    ReplyDelete