Saturday, February 13, 2010

Day 88: Not Giving Up on Dance

As I had mentioned in a couple of posts before, I was planning to do a couple of dance performances at my brother-in-law's upcoming wedding. One was supposed to be a solo and another, a couple dance with my husband. Over the last few weeks, I had been thinking of steps in my mind and had started to do bits and pieces here and there. Some progress was made on the couple dance but nothing much on the solo other than a few specific poses.

Since the dance with my hubby is a typical Bollywood one, it's actually not too hard for me. However my solo is supposed to be Bharatnatyam and Kathak fusion. I had few steps in mind and all that but today I really started to put it all into action.

And I couldn't do it. I haven't danced for so long and am totally out of touch but I didn't realize that it would be so difficult to get back and give a decent performance. I couldn't dance according to what I had in mind and after a while even the choreography was a struggle.

Obviously, that left me terrible upset in the morning. Dance was a always a passion - a pretty ignored one right now but still, a passion. And to realize that it was going beyond my reach was a bit hard to take.

After a couple of hours struggling with it, I stopped trying. Hubby and I went out for lunch and roamed around Singapore for a while. He then went to meet some friends while I returned back home. I decided to give the dance another shot. I was clear that if I cant make it now, I would just drop the idea altogether.

And then I really kept at it. After three continuous hours of choreography and rehearsal, the complete dance is ready! Sure, I need a lot more practice to perfect it but I am so relieved! At least it has been completely choreographed and I can do it decently as well. And that also made be realize that it was so easy to think about quitting. I believe the dance has come out beautifully and to quit without working harder at it would have been a highly stupid thing to do.

In any case, now I am all smiles. No quits!

912 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment