Monday, July 12, 2010

Day 237: Nursing Cook. Cooking Nurse.

I had made a lot of fuss about my once-a-year cooking expedition on Dec 31st last year. Cooking a meal is a very significant thing in my life because I do this particular activity very rarely, the average being once a year. And actually I had already completed the quota for 2010 on January 1st and was planning to chop and stir only next year.

But God had other plans. My hubby fell ill with a fever and a bad throat yesterday night. Usually I don't pay much attention to his laments because he makes a mountain out of a molehill when it comes to illnesses. But I knew this one was a bad bout, because instead of wallowing in self pity, he was sitting in a corner quietly. So of course, all the goodness in me overflowed. I was like getting him medicines, fruits, food etc. etc. and in short, pampering him.

This morning when he said he will not be going to office, I was convinced that he must be feeling really weak because my great hubby never misses a day of work if he can help it. Work is life. Work is religion. Work is everything. You get the point. So anyway, I still had to go to office but then I came back home in the afternoon with some food packed for him. I thought I made a good choice of the packed food which was rice with dal, potatoes and chicken - just the stuff that he likes. He just had two bites of this wonderful meal and wasted the rest of it quoting the reason to be lack of appetite. He told me that the same thing had happened in the morning when he ordered McDonalds breakfast.

That's when it dawned upon me. What the hubby needed was good home cooked food by his wife. Surely there is no chef in Singapore who can beat his wife's culinary skills in spite of the fact that she puts them to use only once in a year. (Disclaimer: He has never articulated these opinions to me but I know this is exactly what passes through his mind time and again).

So after I was done with my work, I set out to buy vegetables and other necessary items required for cooking. I came back and made him a delicious egg curry that he gulped down with several slices of bread. I felt so fulfilled. It's like I came in touch with my maternal, house-wifely instincts today. This nurse cum cook work was definitely a change from the office and film work and I did rather enjoy it. So much so that I even washed the dishes and cleaned up the kitchen in no time (which usually is the most hated part about cooking for me)!

Of course, I did warn him not expect this to be a daily, or for that matter weekly or monthly, affair. But for today this worked.

763 more to go.

2 comments:

  1. you have pronounced maternal and wifely instincts which are manifested when you are confronted with such situations...but let these manifestations be rare for I would not wish your hubby to fall ill frequently at all...though I know he must have enjoyed and savoured your pampering , cooking and caring...congrats for being a perfect wife !

    ReplyDelete