Saturday, July 17, 2010

Day 242: The Perfect Lady

Oh My God. This is unbelievable! OK I might not be the perfect lady yet but I think am freakishly close to being one!

As you may already know, I hardly cook. I mean the average is about 1 - 1.5 times a year. Which is like not very attractive especially if you are married and especially if you are Indian. It's like the kind of statistic people look down upon.

I had written here about how I recently had to cook to make sure my sick hubby ate something. Now there were a lot of vegetables remaining from that day. This is also one reason why I hardly cook. Every time you buy groceries, things always go wasted unless you cook often enough. So unless you have plans to cook regularly, there is no point buying these things because I hate throwing away food stuff.

Anyway, today presented me an opportunity to use up the groceries from four days ago. Hubby decided to spend the evening with his friends and I decided that instead of ordering food from outside I will just cook something and try and not waste all those vegetables. A look at the items available made me realize that all I have are eggs, onions and tomatoes. Upon digging further into the fridge, I also realized that my mom has left behind some roasted vermicelli in a packet. So I thought OK, let's make something with vermicelli.

The only issue was that I have never made anything with vermicelli before. I know how to cook about 4-5 dishes only and vermicelli is not one of them. Then I thought, "What the heck! How hard can it be! I will just put together some stuff and see how it goes..."

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am proud to state that I cooked my own recipe and it turned out to be Absolutely Yummilicious! Muhhahahaha! God, am just too good.

I think I will share the recipe here! It is very easy to make (5-7 minutes if you are fast with chopping onions or longer, if you are not) and is a complete dish on its own (you don't need any curries or chutneys to go with it)!

So here is presenting Shilpa Krishnan's Chilli Vermicelli Dhamaka! :D

Ingredients (am sure you can add more stuff than below, but this is all I had in the kitchen):
Onions - 2
Green chillies (the chilli padi kinds) - 3
Tomato - 1
Garlic - 1 clove
Ginger - small piece
Egg - 1
Mustard
Urad Daal
Roasted Vermicelli (the brand I used was Bambino) - 1 cup
Maggi Chilli Garlic sauce
Salt to taste
Cooking Oil

Heat the oil in a pan. Add in the mustard and urad dal. After it starts to splutter, add in the green chillies, garlic and ginger. After a minute, add in the chopped onions and tomato. Once the onions turn a bit brown, add water and salt. Once the water starts to boil, add in the vermicelli and keep stirring. If the water has drained and the vermicelli is not cooked enough, add in a bit more water and let it boil until the vermicelli is completely cooked. The dish would already be quite tasty at this stage, however you can give it a bit more fire by adding in the Maggi Chilli Garlic sauce (this was actually my special touch)! If you are a strict vegetarian or vegan, you can stop here. The dish is already tasty awesome. Else, break an egg and add that in. Mix well until it looks like scrambled egg mixed with the vermicelli.

Ok then. That's Shilpa Krishnan's Chilli Vermicelli Dhamaka! Enjoy! :D

So there you go! My first ever recipe! Who would have thought this blog would carry my own recipe!

You have no idea how proud am feeling of myself! If it was physically possible, I would have patted my back throughout the night! I really have progressed on the "Ladies' Scale of Perfection". All that remains now is shopping, manicure, pedicure, facials, accessorizing and other such beautification procedures. If those are also added to my life, I guess I would be pretty much The Perfect Lady. Maybe in the upcoming 758 days, I might just achieve that. Or not. Oh well.

758 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment