Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Day 824: Happy, Later!

It was another very long, hard day at work. Things have been way too crazy and I have been feeling rather overwhelmed the past few weeks.

To add to all that stress, I felt like my whole body was hurting today... my arms from way too much typing at the laptop, my wrist at the point where I place it on the desk as I type, my back from sitting for so long and typing etc. etc., all symptoms of fatigue and being in a rather non-ergonomical sitting state most of the time.

Nett, by evening, I felt like I had enough. I just wanted to leave and not do anything for the rest of the evening.

But here's the catch. I was supposed to go for yoga today. That was my plan as I set out from my home this morning.

But I no longer wanted to go for it. I was just way too exhausted and I felt that the heat and that kinda profuse sweating in the hot yoga room, is the last thing I really wanted for the day. I was pretty certain that I would not have a good class because I just didn't feel that great physically.

All very valid arguments, one would say. But just as I was dishing out all of them to myself, somewhere in my head I kept telling myself "but you must go... but you must go....".

Seriously, sometimes these inner voices are just plain annoying!

Anyway to cut a long story short, I was in a dilemma. For almost an hour, I went from "I will go" to "maybe not" and back.

At the end of the hour I happened to ask myself a question - "What would make you happy later? Would going for yoga make you happy later? Or would it be a nice relaxed evening that would make you happy later"?

The answer could have really gone either way. There is nothing wrong in going for yoga and there is nothing wrong in having a nice relaxed evening. But for today, I knew the answer was "Go for yoga". I knew that if I don't go, I will feel super guilty about it later on, which would spoil that relaxed evening anyway.

So I went for yoga. And just as I had predicted, it was an awful class for me. I was dizzy and nauseous through a good part of it. But I struggled on and after 1.5 hours, the ordeal was over!

I was happy and I didn't regret not taking the evening off to relax!

So this is going to be my mantra from now on - sincerely asking and answering the question, "What will make you happy, later?". I think it helps to overcome short term discomfort pretty well.

So for today, I am happy that I went for yoga - in spite of having an aching arm, an aching wrist, an aching back and in spite of feeling like I was going to die for about 1.5 hours!

176 more to go.

4 comments:

  1. This is so inspiring .....This happens to me everyday ... everyday i have convince myself to go for my physio therapy!!! many a times .. i fail also ..

    Now i'll also ask this question to myself .... yes at the end. i always feel happy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) yeah...sometimes, as they say in my yoga class, it is really mind over matter! :)

      Delete
  2. I can totally relate to this you know!!!! It's as if u wrote down something I feel almost everyday!

    ReplyDelete