Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Day 818: Kabuliwala With Kids!

Sometime in 2008, I had put up a theatrical show called Kathaah - it showcased three short plays all inspired by short stories written by Indian authors. One of those plays was Kabuliwala, originally a short story by Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore and I had adapted it for the stage.

One of the schools in Singapore had borrowed the script from me recently to put up the play with their own students. I was invited to watch the show today during my lunch hour and it was the best break I could have taken on a Wednesday! I found the performance really adorable and the whole experience absolutely beautiful! The students were all so very sincere and hard working and such earnest performers! They were from class 5 (or primary 5 as it is called in Singapore) and it was lovely to watch them perform, putting in their very best! Not only the performers, but I found the entire bunch, including the audience, very well behaved and eager and enthusiastic. They were so sweet that towards the performance they were all profusely thanking me as if I were the one who taught them to perform, when all I did was share a script! I was truly touched!

Post the performance I had lunch with two of the teachers there and we discussed everything from theatre to films to kids to teaching etc. It was a wonderful conversation too and makes me want to work with children on plays and films!

Anyway, it was indeed a lovely afternoon! It was quite amazing to see something you worked on so long ago come to life once again, that too brought to life by a bunch of kids. Very satisfying!

182 more to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment