Monday, October 4, 2010

Day 319: Thanee Vazhi!

Now that we are in the Enthiran/Robot wave, everyone seems to talking about Superstar Rajni. (For the uninformed, Enthiran or Robot is the biggest film in Indian cinema till date and the lead dude is Rajnikanth, who is mostly referred to has Superstar Rajni by his adoring fans).

OK so there is one super dialogue by the superstar from one of his earlier super movies, which is pretty much the most famous tamil dialogue ever. It goes like this: "Enn Vazhi...Thanee Vazhi." That kinda means "My path. A separate/individual/unique/solo path". I have put all the different articulations I could think for that. But you get the point. It means, in a way, that you gotta figure out your own journey.

I decided to put that principle into my life today.

You see, I had formed the conclusion that I have worked really really hard the last one year and that I do need a break. That was when the hubby broke the news that he has still 10 days of leave left for the year as well. That was great! Immediately, the decision to take a holiday was made and my heart longed for a trekking trip. I did a ton of research, had several communications with several travel agents and finally zeroed in on the week long Singalila trek that starts from Darjeeling in November - during the one single week that my darling hubby seemed to be able to choke out of his busy schedule.

Today, after all that planning I did, the hubby broke the news that even that one free week is gone, because he will now be going to US just then. Oh well. There goes my trekking plan, I thought. I was disappointed to say the least, because I was really really looking forward to this.

Then I thought, wait a minute. Why should all be lost?! One one hand, the hubby was not very keen on this in the first place - his concerns were mainly about the lack of other human beings around, lack of TV, phone network, proper washrooms and the works. On the other hand, my dad has expressed interest in joining and we could very well have a nice dad-daughter outing even without the hubby. Now even if my dad too cant make it, this is something I can do perfectly on my own. After all, I have guides, porters etc. with me and it is all a properly planned trip from a reputed agent! So what really stops me here?

You see why the blog is called Thanee Vazhi now? Yeah, the decision has been made, I will go on this trek no matter what. (Disclaimer: unless of course, God decides otherwise for some reason). As long as the decision is in my hands, I will make it. Even if alone.

Having made that really cool thanee decision, I felt awesome! I immediately set out for shopping and checked out rucksacks, thermals, sleeping bags and down jackets and have successfully narrowed down where I can buy them at reasonable prices! Great progress within a day.

Now really looking forward to going there. Fingers crossed!

681 more to go.

2 comments:

  1. I've done a fair bit of solo backpacking around Europe and USA and I can attest to the fact that it's a fabulous experience of its own kind...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah am sure... but my dad's coming now...so it's happening together with some solid dad-daughter bonding! :)

    ReplyDelete