Friday, September 9, 2011

Day 657: Fragile Things!

7 September, 2011

While chilling out in an airport during a recent business trip, I had picked up a collection of short stories called Fragile Things, by an unfamiliar author till then Neil Gaiman. The synopsis told me that the collection is full of fantasy stuff, which made me doubtful because I am not quite a fantasy lover. Three books of Harry Potter was max I could get through and I pretty much struggled through Lord of the Rings. However, there were several quotes crowding the first few pages of this book, full of praises for Gaiman which made me curious and when I noticed that the collection has also won an award, I decided to pick it up and test my luck.

And how lucky I got!

My God!!!!!!!!

I love, love, love, love, loveeeeeeeeeeeee his work!!! His stories are just SO fascinating! They are very simply written with none of the English intricacies which my poor brain would've struggled to comprehend and the variety is just fantabulous - the stories range from those that make you wonder-eyed, dreamy, happy, touched, thoughtful, sad or even disgusted! I am SUPER impressed.

On top of all this, what makes the collection a very interesting one is that he has written a preface to each and every story in the collection, outlining his reasons to why and how he wrote each one of them. It was like "behind-the-scenes" footage for each of their creation which was super cool! That made the stories a lot more nicer than they would have been otherwise.

I simply couldn't put the book down and I have a feeling that I am going to read every one of his works pretty soon!

Awesomeness!

343 more to go.

2 comments:

  1. Neil Gaiman is pretty huge in the comics world. His Sandman series has got awesome reviews and multiple Eisner awards too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I hear! I will definitely look out for more of his works... surely! :)

    ReplyDelete