Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day 474: That Thing Called Motivation

7 March, 2011

It was one of those blue Mondays. Lack of interest in working, zero motivation, feeling utterly and completing disgruntled and lazy. You know the type.

After making some really unsuccessful attempts at being productive, I ended up feeling rather frustrated. On top of the lack of motivation my eyes were back to their tearing and itchy selves, making the work look harder than ever. In short, it was a sad little situation.

So I did the only thing I could do at that time. I packed my stuff and went home in the afternoon.

I relaxed the whole afternoon, only attending to the important emails and calls. Later in the evening I went for a jog and then had dinner with hubby and a friend who came over, topping it up with Tiramisu at the end.

And THEN, I got down to work. I worked a fair bit until midnight. I wouldn't say that I was swimming in motivation by now, but things were definitely better. I dunno whether it was the relaxed afternoon or the jog or the Tiramisu that did it, but I wasn't at least feeling like banging my head against the red wall of my study. And yes, the productivity was way better than in the morning when I was just staring at the laptop being unable to make sense of whatever I saw on it.

So yes, in a nutshell: today I didn't force myself to do something that I absolutely didn't want to but instead, waited it out until a drop of motivation was available.

It made a world of difference.

626 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment