Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day 299: Bananas & Milk

14 September, 2010

Today was yet another ridiculous day filled with meetings and calls and submission of documents and presentations and video conferences and a run in the gym squeezed in between. I would probably have written about the run or the progress at work as the best thing that happened today, until a conversation with my darling mom a few minutes ago, took the top spot.

So I gave my mom the routine call. And she asked me the routine question.

She: Have you had dinner?
Me: Yeah. Having now.
She: What are you having?
Me: Bananas and Milk.
She: What?!
Me: Bananas and Milk.
She: Did you say "Bananas"?!
Me: Yes.
She:... and "Milk"?1
Me: Yes.
She: What?!
Me: Erm... what's your point?
She: But you NEVER have Bananas!
Me: Yep.
She: Nor Milk!
Me: Yep.
*Awkward pause*
Me (realizing that the information was too much for her to take for some reason, offered an explanation): You see, I had chicken biriyani just before my meeting at 7. So am not very hungry now. Hence... the bananas and milk.
She: Oh.
Me: Yep.
She: But you NEVER have Bananas or Milk!
Me. Erm. Shall we move on?
She: Hmmm..... (contemplates for a while).
Me: Well... so what else is happening in good old Thrissur?
She: Where did you get the Bananas from?! (definitely not in any mood to move on)
Me: (sighs) From the shop.
She: You bought them from the shop?!
Me: Yep. They weren't giving it away for free. (chuckles in appreciation of my own sense of humour)
She: The Milk too?! (continues without even acknowledging my sense of humour)
Me: Yep.
She: Oh My God! What am I hearing?! My daughter actually bought milk and bananas!

I think by that she means that she never expected her daughter to buy such healthy food because her daughter hates fruits and vegetables (and milk, apparently) of any kind. So overcome was she by emotion that I think I almost heard her sniff back a tear of joy.

Me: I always buy bananas and milk! (not a very true fact, but I had to defend my milk-and-banana-buying potential)
She: No. You don't.
Me: Well, sometimes I do.
She: No. You dont.
Me: OK then.
She: Oh My God! My daughter actually bought milk and bananas... and had them too! (there was no mistaking the sniff and the tear of joy this time).

Alright then, today shall be the day that I made my mom absolutely elated by investing in a bunch of bananas and a carton of milk. If this doesn't make the day beautiful, what does?

701 more to go.

3 comments:

  1. so what else is happening in good old Thrissur?

    I am eager to know the answer. Since it's my place. Check my post: http://jidhu.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. i cant help but im still smiling thinking about the conversation you had with your mum.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jidhu - haha... well as you can see I didn't get much ahead of that conversation. However, I can update you that some girl in Kannur stabbed some other girl because she thought the latter was stealing her boyfriend. It was big news yesterday night, much to my mom's amusement.

    Preveena - Ah well... what can I say. My mom is quite a character. :)

    ReplyDelete