Thursday, September 2, 2010

Day 287: Fun Delhi!

My, my... yet again, an amazing day!

Am having SO much fun on this business trip, it's just so wonderful! Today I got to Delhi from Mumbai and all the excitement is still continuing! List-time!

a) Bought two books from the bookstore in Mumbai airport at half the price as they would have been in Singapore - I LOVE the fact that everything is so cheap!

b) ITC Maurya Sheraton, my hotel in Delhi ROCKS! They put me up on the "Eva" floor, exclusively for single female travellers! And that means you get an Awesome room with Awesome freebies and Awesome service! These include things like - extensive toileteries like cleanser, toner, body talc and moisturizer on top of the usual shampoo, conditioner and body lotion, pumpic stone for scrubbing and softening the heel, nail file, nail polish remover, body scrub, ear bugs, ear plugs, eye mask, comb for dry hair, brush for wet hair, washing powder, dream kerchief (apparentely it gives out a fragrance if placed next to the pillow that helps you sleep better), wet wipes etc. On top of this you also get, complimentary glass of alcohol or hot drinks in-room during happy hours, complimentary wash of 2 pieces of clothing, complimentary glass of hot drink just before bed so that the body can sleep better (I didn't even know such a belief existed!), female butler who comes by and checks on me once in a while, etc. etc. etc. etc. It is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!

c) My cabbie Rocked! I wanted to buy Kurtis (Indian tops/blouses), and had asked for recommendations on a good place to go. Some of the colleagues here gave a few suggestions and I took a cab with my Chinese colleague to go to one among them. Upon knowing the purpose of our visit, the cabbie gave a different recommendation of a place called Delhi Haat and said that this place would be cheaper and better. And he was right! OK, I dunno whether it was cheap-er and better but it was definitely cheap and definitely a really good place. I had a wonderful time there! And the cabbie was so cute, he was giving us a running commentary on every building that we passed by and making sure we had Delhi completely figured out. Sweet!

d) Delhi Haat - Ahhhh. What an experience! We were treated like royalty from the minute we entered the shop! This could also have been due to the fact that I had a Chinese collaegue with me and they took us for tourists... but still! They were getting us drinks, bringing whatever we demanded to us from the far flung corners of the shop so that we didn't have to budge from our seats, helping us take pictures, taking measurements and providing free alterations within 15-20 minutes and doing a Perfect job of it, carrying our stuff all around the shop, making really good conversation, and in short, making sure that we are having a great time! Yeah sure, this might be a standard in many shops in india, but it's the first time I have been to such a shop pretty much on my own without other relatives who, by default, would have been the ones in the centre of attention as they would lead most of the shopping. So I had never immersed myself so completely in what was happening and I thoroughly enjoyed myself! The experience was all the more interesting because my Chinese colleague was nothing short of being astounded by the standard of service! She said it was no less than a luxury brand and I couldn't agree more!

So yes, I feel rather pampered today. This has been an incredible experience and super duper fun!

713 more to go.

3 comments:

  1. you meant ear buds* right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No! I meant ear PLUGS! :) They provide ear plugs and eye mask. I think it's because the walls are a bit thin and not sound proof. They don't want the beauty sleep of the "single female traveller" to be distributed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful time at ITC Maurya! Thank you for appreciating our 'Eva' hospitality! We'll look forward to welcoming you again!

    With warm regards,
    ITC-Welcomgroup

    ReplyDelete