Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 585: Robbery to Film Festival!

26 June, 2011

 

What an eventful day!

 

It all started with me getting an invite to a friends place for lunch. She is an awesome cook and had decided to cook up a wide variety of Kerala dishes and I was one of the lucky guests who get to eat all that up! I decided that I will first go to her place for all that yummy food and then make my way to yoga, thereby making it a productive Sunday. So, I picked up my yoga bag (a backpack) and made my way to her place.  

 

On my way, I stopped at a shop to buy her some mangoes. I walked just a bit after my successful purchase of mangoes, when I felt something was odd. I couldn’t put my finger on what it was, but I turned around and noticed that my backpack was open and the plastic bag (which I use to put my yoga clothes in), was pull out of it. It took me a few seconds to figure what was going on. I rummaged inside the bag and noticed that my wallet was gone!

 

I was robbed in broad daylight, in a residential area, in Singapore. Appalling!

 

After some fruitless searching around, I made my way to my friend’s place. The awesome food that she had cooked up made me feel really good and made up much for the loss of the wallet (even though I was still wishing that the thief would rot in hell).

 

When I did voice out this “thief should rot in hell” wish of mine, my cinematographer from Mausams, who was also present at this lunch, commented with his usual genius look about what I could possibly write in this blog for the day, under the given circumstances. He definitely had a point there because getting mugged is not exactly beautiful, but I gave him my customary snort and told him that maybe I will write about how amused I am by the new moustache he is sporting.

 

While such pointless conversation was proceeding, I decided to check my email on the phone and noticed an email from one of the film festivals I had entered Mausams in. “Probably a rejection or a cancellation”, I thought. You see, I have had terrible luck with film festivals so far. Firstly we can’t apply to most of the major ones, because Mausams do not have the production values (i.e. no 35mm, no HD etc.). That alone reduces the number of festivals we can apply to. Amongst the rest, I chose only those which allow submission of online screeners instead of DVDs because each festival entry costs a lot and I didn’t want to spend extra on couriers for screeners. Again, a chunk of them disappears from the list. Out of those that remain, I picked a few and applied to and one turned to be a scam, one got postponed indefinitely and we got rejected from one because the film was 120 minutes when they accept only 75 minutes (this critical piece of information was conveniently omitted in their application form).

 

So when I saw this email, I was pretty certain that the day is about to go from bad to worse. But I was completely wrong!

 

The emailed started with a huge CONGRATULATIONS and told me that Mausams is an official selection at the Silent River International Film Festival to be held in Los Angeles from September 9 – 16!

 

With that the day just jumped from a rut to a completely terrific, super duper lovable, happy-happy day!!!

 

415 more to go.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! My moustache finds a mention in Shilpa's blog!!!

    Now that will be the silver lining for me for the whole of next week :)

    ReplyDelete