Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day 580: Monitor!

21 June, 2011

Given that Singapore is such a developed and overpopulated city, it is quite fascinating when one gets a rare sighting of some wild animal here! More than a year ago, I remember seeing a few monkeys hanging around near Yio Chu Kang, which I thought was super cool!

Today, as I was on the bus on my way to work, I was completely taken aback when I spotted a HUGE monitor lizard chilling out on the pavement near a bus stop! The bus stop was not even surrounded by thick vegetation or anything, but was next to the expressway for God's sake. It was almost as surprising as finding a tiger inside my living room in Kerala I guess - "How on earth did it get here?!" You see what I mean?

Somehow it really perked me up. I wouldn't have thought that am a monitor lizard fan but looks like I really like spotting them in the least expected places!

420 more to go.

3 comments:

  1. Thats exactly when your I-phone comes handy, should have taken a photograph of the same, since you mention its a rare thing that happens and we could as well have witnessed it and maybe could have made our day as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, I've seen monitor lizards in my old condo, and a pretty massive one at the Chinese Gardens. If you want more monkeys, just head down Mandai Road. There's an entire horde of them there, not sure if they jumped out from the zoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The Film Guy" - I wanted to... but I was in the bus and the monitor was outside on the footpath... the bus moved away before I could collect my thoughts and get my iphone work!

    Naren - Hehe... I am not going in search of any of these animals... am happy with my accidental sightings! :P

    ReplyDelete