Monday, October 17, 2011

Days 694 - 696: "Ayur Rekha", "Saheb, Biwi aur Gangster" and "Salt & Pepper"!

14 - 16 October, 2011

Am writing this on October 17th and I have decided to combine the posts of the last three days simply because all three are focused on films - three films that I happened to catch, one on each day, and which pleasantly surprised me for different reasons. I must add that there were other small, nice happenings during these days, such as a great yoga class, a great dance rehearsal session with the hubby, a good time catching up with a friend, a good time planning for the visit to Dhaka film fest, a nice Sunday evening spent with the hubby and mom at my favourite destination Clarke Quay and hogging on some awesome food (including McDonalds french fries which I haven't had in ages and which are just so sinfully yummy, great kebabs at Marrakesh, mom's egg curry, Jumillah's pancakes with honey, etc. etc)! But I have chosen to focus on the films because well, sometimes I prefer to be more of a film buff than all the other things I supposedly am in my life.

So, here we go.

For the 14th of October, it was a very small Malayalam movie called Ayur Rekha. It is exactly the kind of the film that I would have very easily given a skip if I went strictly by its star cast or even its trailer, but I happened to catch it, having nothing else to do in the evening. And I was very fascinated to realize that it was a very mature, very interesting and very different film. Not in terms of its storyline, but in terms of its execution. Some of the characterisations, scenes and dialogues were very new and different for Malayalam cinema and really took me by surprise. Thoroughly enjoyed it!


On October 15th, it was again a very small and pretty much unheard of Hindi film "Saheb, Biwi aur Gangster". This one was outstanding, really! The performances were all par excellence and I was very impressed by the direction! I would have easily skipped this one as well, if I were to go by its tacky title alone (it means "Master, Wife and Gangster"....), but decided to catch it after some good reviews from a few friends. And I was so pleasantly surprised! Excellent film!


On October 16th, it was the much awaited Malayalam film, "Salt & Pepper". Now this too is a small film, but definitely not unheard of. It is one of the most successful mini-budget Malayalam films of recent times and I had been hearing way too much about it and it was only on October 16th that I finally got a chance to view it. And man, even with all that high expectation, it blew me away! Such a simple and heart-warming film, so refreshingly told! And as the name suggests, one that really encourges gastronomy! The movie made me smile, hungry and at times, even wanting to cook (God save us all)! It is just the kinda film Malayalam cinema needs these days - original, simple, witty and real!


As you can see, it's been a very film-y weekend. Awesomeness!


304 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment