Friday, October 7, 2011

Day 687: Day Out in Mustafa!

7 October, 2011

The most interesting thing happened today!

My mom, who is in town, decided that she will tag Jumillah along with her, on her trip to Mustafa. The idea was to get Jumillah familiar with the mecca of Indian shopping in Singapore.

Now what either of us didn't know was that Jumillah had, in the past, never been out with her employer to anywhere beyond the very near supermarket. She had always heard of 'The Mustafa' but never had a chance to go there in the last six years in Singapore! So she was as excited about the prospect of visiting this one-and-only hyper-super-duper-mart in Singapore, as an 8 year old would be about a visit to Disneyland.

She got all her work done early in the morning, was constantly checking with my mom on when they were about to start on their trip and finally when it was time, got dressed in her best of clothes, and very excitedly set out!

I left the ladies to themselves at mustafa and proceeded for my yoga class. When I came back to pick them up post the class, Jumillah and my mom were sitting at Mustafa's cafe with several Mustafa bags all around them and having an animated conversation as if they were the best of buds. You must know that both of them are not fluent in English, yet they seemed to get along just fine! My mom's ability to hit it off with anyone and everyone amazes me at times!

Anyway, when Jumillah saw me, she sprung up and rattled away that she is never coming to Mustafa on her own, ever. She is an expert at making expectations clear, I must say. "I si-kared ma'm, so big ma'm, Jumillah si-kared, Jumillah lost!" I believe she was both fascinated and scared by Mustafa. It was humungous, magnificent, confusing and intimidating, all at the same time.

I assured her that she doesn't have to come here on her own, not yet at least, and that I will accompany her until she is confident. After she calmed down, the three of us went to a restaurant and ordered food. I let Jumillah order whatever she took fancy to, which happened to be rice and prawns curry, while my mom and I got whatever we took fancy to.

Through the dinner and the cab ride back, Jumillah went into a "Thank you" spree. Apparently this was the first time she has been taken to eat out in a restaurant by an employer. A bit shocking, that.

It was as if she couldn't believe her good fortune and in turn, I was reminded of my own good fortune. Whatever we take for granted, means so much....like SO much.... to someone else!

A humbling perspective.

313 more to go.

1 comment: