Saturday, November 20, 2010

Day 358: Darjeeling!

12 November, 2010

Darjeeling is darling little town and I fell in love with it the minute I stepped my foot here yesterday! And today I got to see more of it! We had kept the day free to roam around the town before starting on the trek tomorrow. Sights from Darjeeling that I loved:

A) Dali Tibetan monastery with its bunch of peaceful monks, naughty and extremely shy younger monks-to-be, classic tibetan architecture and location - high up on a ridge almost as if it is overseeing Darjeeling from there.

View from the Dali Monastery


B) The zoo and the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute both of which were within the same compound. While the layout of the zoo was pretty interesting with the animal enclosures either below your level or very high above your level, the mountaineering institute was fascinating...especially the museum which even displayed the equipment used by Tenzing during his Mt. Everest conquest.

C) The toy train - the highest meter gauge in the world and apparently one of the few (or probably the last) remaining ones.

D) The tea gardens and most importantly the super duper delicious tea that was served there! It was seriously The Best Tea I have ever had (yeah, even better than Starbucks Chai Tea Latte)!

After yet another awesome meal at the Lunar restaurant and a bit of shopping, we're were done for the day.

Our tour operator Wangchuck came to pass on sleeping bags, rain gear, walking sticks and even an extra jacket because he felt that my dad's one probably wouldn't be warm enough. And also all that sightseeing today was Wangchuck's complimentary service for us! Needless to say, he is my most favourite tour operator Ever!

So yes, I love Darjeeling!

642 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment