Saturday, November 6, 2010

Day 351: Diwali Time!

5 November, 2010

Diwali or Deepavali as it is called in some places, is not a popular festival in my state. Am not quite sure of the reason why but while the rest of the country seems to celebrate it with great pomp and show, somehow in Kerala the importance is more for festivals like Onam and Vishu. But since the hubby is a north Indian and hence a Diwali fan, I have been paying more attention to it in the recent years.

And today was probably the most celebrated Diwali in my life!

Firstly I got myself to wear some Indian attire (nope, not a sari... that's way too much, but a salwar, which is a considerable improvement from jeans and tees of yester years).

Then we joined a group of friends to watch a movie, Action Replay. OK fine, there's nothing very Diwali-ish about watching a film, but I did enjoy it a lot... so, it was still celebratory!

Then a friend, the hubby and I came back home and spent an hour decorating the house with lamps! The boys were quite excited about the whole process and their excitement also led to candle wax dropping all over my house, much to my exasperation. Nevertheless it was quite fun!

We also streamed a devotional song from musicindiaonline.com and did a puja. Then once again the boys got super excited about the sparklers that were available and started lighting them inside the house. The initial plan was to go downstairs and do it, but who can wait!

About thirty minutes later, we had lit all the sparklers, had taken a ton of pictures, succeeded in getting one chokingly smoky house, and felt immensely satisfied. So satisfied that the immediate next step was to upload all the pictures on Facebook and gaze them with tender love ourselves.

The celebration wound up with a dinner at Clarke Quay over a brainless conversation with friends.

Thus a really nice Diwali comes to an end (and now am just 2 weeks away to completing 365 days on this blog. Phew! )

649 more to go.

4 comments:

  1. 2 weeks away from 365 days - who would have thought! Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... who would have thought! :) Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg u're kidding me! :O it's already one year? this reminds me why i should do the same thing as u.. my blogging as pretty much stopped but chronicling each day really gives the year so much more substance, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha... you totally should! :) (but hey, I must admit that I have found this a rather hard exercise!) i think i will take some time off to read through what i have written the last 365 days... pretty sure i dun remember half of it anymore!

    ReplyDelete