Sunday, January 8, 2012

Day 780: Multilingual Marathon!

The hubby took off for India this afternoon and I found myself with a lot of potential "me-time" but with nothing much to do.

So I decided to do what one naturally decides under such circumstances - watch a movie.

So I watched the delightful "Adukalam", a Tamil movie had gotten rave reviews and had even fetched its actor a National Award, for all the right reasons. Tamil cinema anyway does a great job of rustic, raw films and this one was no exception!

After "Adukalam" I realized that there is still quite some time to go before I really need to hit the bed. So I decided to watch one more film - this time, the Malayalam comedy "3 Kings", only to find it atrocious. But I persevered until the very end of it for reasons not yet known to myself.

After enduring that torture, I realized that I still have more time before I must absolutely hit the bed. So then I decided to watch a Telugu movie. I am not at all familiar with the language but a friend had insisted I watch this movie called "Magadheera" and sent me a link with the subtitles. And it completely blew me away! It is a fantasy/period/current-day romantic tale and I was completely taken by the quality of stunts, art direction, music, direction, choreography, performance of the lead, etc. etc. Sure, it had its share of flaws but I was happy to ignore all of them! There was something really, really awesome about it and I enjoyed myself thoroughly watching it!

So there - I watched a Tamil, Malayalam and Telugu movie each, one after the other and got 2 out of 3 of my choices pretty right!

So it was a thoroughly enjoyable, successful multilingual marathon!

220 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment