Thursday, May 12, 2011

Day 539: Mom, Uncle and Umbrellas!

10 May, 2011

Thrissur Pooram is the biggest festival from my town, Thrissur, in India... and arguably the biggest and most popular "pooram" (annual temple festival) from the state of Kerala. The event is quite something and should be experienced to be believed. I am not going to explain the festival here (that will be a really long blog!) but this website provides a comprehensive overview: http://thrissurpooramfestival.com/thrissur_pooram.html

Anyway, so Thrissur Pooram is currently happening, which has gotten everyone in Thrissur excited. And that includes my mother and her brother, my uncle.

A couple of months ago, this uncle had asked me for a contribution to the pooram. It was to be in the form of a set of decorative umbrellas for the elephants that would be participating in the pooram (check out http://bit.ly/kdW5wZ for a reference picture, if you have no clue about what I am talking about!) And since it was supposed to be my donation, he wanted the material for the umbrellas (which are custom made every year) to come from Singapore.

Since I am rather useless at selecting the material for elephant-decoration-umbrellas, my mother took up the task completely. When she was in Singapore a few months ago, she found a shop that sells suitable cloth, chose the design herself, made me pay for it and carried it back with her to India!

And now those umbrellas are ready. They would first be placed in an exhibition alongside similar umbrellas and other decorations for the elephants and then will be used in the pooram on 12th of this month.

What was most amusing was how excited my uncle and my mom are about the whole day! Since morning my uncle called my n number of times to tell me how nice the umbrellas look. He took some pictures and sent me, then felt that those were not of a good enough quality... so got a professional photographer retake the pics! My mom on the other hand, also gave me multiple number of calls, but to tell me how many number of calls my uncle has been giving her just to gush about the umbrellas. Apparently, he hasn't been speaking about anything else since morning!

How cute is that?!

I love the fact that they are SO passionate about pooram. My uncle has actually flown down from Qatar, where he works, just for taking part in it!

I love the fact that my uncle is SO excited about this set of umbrellas and I find it extremely adorable that it only took so much to make him feel on top of the world - that his niece contributed umbrellas for a cause he was so passionate about! I could have easily done it earlier, if it only took this much!

And of course, the entire credit for making this happen goes to my mom... it's her contribution more than mine of course.

The excitement continued to flow in throughout the day and it gave me plenty a smile! God bless my uncle, mom and their undying Pooram spirit!

461 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment