Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Day 21: Being part of another person's dream

Almost every year I've had somebody I know from Kerala visiting Singapore for the first time and staying with me. My parents, friends, relatives, neighbours even. Some of them had travelled widely before but for some others this would be the first time they've ever been out of India and for that matter first time ever on a plane. While I enjoy having all of them over, it gives me a special happiness being part of the latter's journey. That of the "the first time foreign-goers".

The latest on the list is my aunt, who is visiting me next week along with my mom, for a 2 week holiday. I gave her a call today because while it would be fun to see her excitement when she is finally here, I knew that it would be equally fun to be part of the preparation process!

And I was right. There were all the excited questions and concerns - "I dunno English - how will I bargain?", "Am not gonna use the public loo because I heard there will be no water and only paper!", "Will there be escalators everywhere? Are they too fast? Can we use lifts instead? I practiced using it a few times at City Centre mall but still is very difficult", "Should we use fork and spoon even to eat rice?", "Shall I bring some pickle and pappadom?", "I will not bring any salwars and saris, am gonna wear jeans and t-shirts"!

And this is what I loved being part of. The wonderful excitement of someone making her preparations to cross the seas for the very first time. Listening to her stories of going to the only mall in the town to take her escalator riding lessons or wanting to wear western clothes for the very first time. Imagining her telling the entire neighbourhood that she is going abroad!

And now when she comes, I would love watching her wide-eyed amazement at all the cars (their headlights actually work!), the tall buildings, the clean trains, people of different races (and their outrageous clothes!), the public displays of affection, the Christmas decorations and the fantastic malls (which are a 100 times bigger than City Centre!). Just like all the other first timers.

Coming from small middle-class families, they would have waited for such an opportunity for years. Dreamt about it for years. And after the trip, they would tell the stories for years.

And I love being part of one of the biggest events in their lives. In my aunt's case, the event has just begun.

979 more to go.

2 comments:

  1. I can think of many who would be in the same situation as you and would moan endlessly about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Well I guess I've been getting only good visitors who don't get on my nerves! :)

    ReplyDelete