Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Day 8: 'Shit' from Bangkok

Looks like Bangkok never cease to amuse me. Amaze me, even. I have been here pretty much like 5 ot 6 times in the last 4 years. And each time, I discover something new. Something that is so Bangkok.

So today, after the back to back consumer research work, a colleague and I decided to visit MBK, one of the few super cheap malls that is open until 9-10pm. After the usual walking around and buying a few things I don't really need (but they are cheap, so I feel like I would be cheating myself if I don't buy), I glanced at a shop that sells bags and accessories.

And on the counter top, right in front of my eyes, in clear view was... A Pile of Shit. Yup. People call it other stuff. "Excreta", "Potty", "Poop" etc. Whatever you call it, you know what I mean. So there it was. A lump. Just sitting there.

I was Stunned. Horrified. I stared at it in pure shock.

And then I saw something dangling out from it... it was a chain. Oh. I figured it out. It's a keychain. A keychain made from an unbelievable plastic imitation of a pile of shit. A quick glance also confirmed that there were more pieces of this extraodinary visual delight made available. In different shape and sizes. All sitting there. I was amazed. It was a work of pure genius really. How one could come up with such a precise form of imitation is beyond me.

However, all the appreciation that I could muster up for the work of art lasted only a few seconds. Some might have walked up to it for a better look. Some might have even picked it up. Some might even buy it. But I... I prefered to run before it ruined my appetite.

Bangkok - Khorb koon kaa. You make me smile.

992 more to go.

3 comments:

  1. A pile of shit for sale, hahahaha! Reminds me ok a key chain I used to have with a sheep at the end of it...if you squeeze the sheep, a pile of shit oozes out and when you unsqueeze it, it goes back in :P Not the most appealing thought, I know..hehe, but most amusing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oho.. that sounds even more ingenious than just a pile of shit! :D Where did you get that from?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was one of those 'return gifts' after a kiddie birthday party, cheeky gift :D

    ReplyDelete